Friday, August 23, 2013

The World's End Review


I didn't really enjoy Shaun of the Dead when I first saw it.  The tonal shifts between comedy, drama and action were too abrupt for me.  A friend (Hi Pat) talked me into re-watching it, and now its one of my most watched films.  Hot Fuzz is also a frequently viewed film in my life.

The World's End is more akin to Shaun of the Dead.  The humor is dark, combining slapstick and verbal fare.  Many of the characters we come to care for die horrible deaths.  Edgar Wright's direction is inspired and the action sequences are near perfection.  You can easily follow each and every blow, no jump cutting here. The story surrounds Simon Pegg's incredibly unlikable Gary King, manipulating his old pals into a pub crawl  to try and recapture past glory.  All does horribly and fantastically awry and the less you know the more you'll get out of it.
While I enjoyed The World's End I feel like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (and even Paul, there I said it) it will get better with each viewing.  Cheers mate.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of these guys. Loved the supermarket scene in Hot Fuzz, and as in any film I loved seeing Timothy Dalton. The World's End is on my to-see list.

    ReplyDelete