Wednesday, January 18, 2012

M.R. Interviews... E.S. Moore


Please Welcome E.S. Moore to Cutis Anserina

What group of readers to you is the perfect audience for To Walk the Night?

I think those that enjoy a dark and gritty urban fantasy would be perfect, as well as those who like a little horror in their paranormal.  It’s definitely a darker world than some other series, but there are familiar bits any UF fan would recognize.  I’d like to think I’ve written a book that can appeal to a wide range of people.  Only time will tell...

What was the catalyst for the creation of the character Kat Redding?

I’m not real sure, actually!  She was one of those characters that came out of nowhere for me.  It just hit me one day and I plotted out the book.  I was trying to come up with a character that was different than another unpublished urban fantasy series I’ve been working on and the character just popped into my head.
To Walk the Night’s sequel, Tainted Night, Tainted Blood will be released later this year.  Do you have a clear end point for this series, or are you taking it novel by novel?
Sort of both.  I have an idea of where I want to go, how I want it to end, but things can change as the novels progress.  I won’t force my characters down a path they don’t want to go.  It wouldn’t be fair to the characters or the readers. 

What is your favorite character that you created?  Do you love or hate him/her?

Ethan, I think.  He’s the character that is most like me and really, I think I needed that in the story.  He might have a dark past and secrets of his own, but he still tries to keep a smile on his face.  I love that about him.
What is the first book you remember genuinely being frightened by?  Was your immediate reaction to run out and find other similar tales, or stash it in your closet and block it out?
Wow, that’s a tough one!  I’ve always read horror as far back as I can remember.  I’d have to say that maybe Pet Semetary by Stephen King was the first one that really rattled me.  I’ve grown up with cats and to think of one of my own coming back like that was scary for a kid.  I devoured the book and read everything else King wrote that I could get my hands on.  I really do like to be frightened, though that has happened a lot less frequently these days.

What current genre authors are you following/reading right now?  What draws you to them?

Jim Butcher and Stephen King are probably the top two.  I’ve always been a fan of King, and while a few of his books weren’t as good as some of the others, I’ve always taken something from them.  I’ll continue to read anything he puts out there!
As for Butcher, I was drawn to him because of the short-lived TV series, The Dresden Files.  I went out and bought the books and immediately was sold on urban fantasy.  I’d never read any of the other urban fantasy authors until then.  Something about his characters attracted me and I have yet to find the same feeling anywhere else.

As an avid gamer and storyteller, what game or franchise do you feel has the strongest combination of game play and storytelling? 

I think the two that stick out most in my mind are Final Fantasy 7 and Dragon Age: Origins.  I loved the story and gameplay for both of those games.  I got so invested in the characters, when something bad happened to one of them, it was quite a shock to the system.  I just wish the other games in each series were as good as those two. 

From any medium, who in your mind is the ultimate hunter of supernatural creatures?

Buffy and her friends!  I was never much into the love interests of the show, but really enjoyed the interactions between all the characters and how, really, no one was safe.  That’s one show I could actually watch again, which is something I can’t say for very many shows these days.

Do you have anything new coming down the pipeline you would like to share with us?  

Right now, all I have is the second book of the Kat Redding series, Tainted Night, Tainted Blood, coming, as well as book 3, Blessed by a Demon’s Mark.  Hopefully I’ll have more in the near future!  I’m working on quite a few projects and hopefully something will come out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment